To install Windows 8 from USB drive increasingly common. The fact shows that many computers, especially tablets and laptops no longer have an optical drive. But Microsoft only provides Windows 8 in DVD or ISO file. Therefore, a solution to install Windows 8 from a USB drive you need to create a bootable USB drive.
The following tutorial will help you get the Windows 8 installation files copied correctly to the USB drive. The following procedure works for Windows 8 (standard) or Windows 8 Pro. If you want to create a bootable USB with Windows 8 ISO file, start from Step 2. But for Windows 8 DVD, starting from Step 1.
How to create a bootable USB to install Windows 8
- Firstly you must create an ISO file from the Windows 8 DVD. This is the procedure to create Windows 8 file be a single file, called an ISO image. To do that you can use Power ISO tool.
- You can use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to help you create a bootable USB. This is a free tool provided by Microsoft. If you have not already, you will need to download and install it first.
- Run the Windows 7 USB / DVD Tool, and click on the Browse. Locate and select your Windows 8 ISO file and click Open. Then click on Next button.
- Connect your USB drive, and click on the USB device. Moreover, you can also use this tool to burn the Windows 8 ISO to DVD/Disk, but we are not talking it now.
- Select your USB drive through the drop down menu, and click on the Begin copying.
- Click on Erase USB Device if you’re prompted Not Enough Free Space window. If you are not asked, it means that your USB drive is empty.
Note: By clicking YES, it means that any data that you may have on this drive will be deleted.
- The process of copying files to USB devices will take a few minutes.
- After finished, the next screen should say the Bootable USB device created successfully. USB devices can be unplugged from the PC and ready use to install Windows 8.
- The next step to install Windows 8, you must create the boot order in the BIOS. See how to change boot priority in the BIOS if you need help doing that.
- If the boot order is successfully done, now is the time to do a clean install Windows 8.
That is the solutions to avoid install Windows 8 via an optical device, instead of using a USB drive. That must be understood is how to create a bootable USB drive, it has been discussed above, and this may be a useful tutorial for you.