By default, the number of rows tiles on Windows 8 automatically adjusts to your screen; it depends on your screen resolution. But, any time you can increase or decrease the number of rows tiles are displayed on the Start screen in Windows 8.
Besides you can change Windows 8 start screen background, the existence of rows tiles on the Start Screen of Windows 8 also adds a different feel; the screen looks more elegant and modern. For that, I will show you how to increase or reduce the number of rows tiles in Windows 8 start screen.
Option 1: Change number of rows tiles from Settings
This option is only available if you set your screen resolution to 1920X1200 or up. If not, you must use Option 2.
- Open Start Screen, then open Charm Bar and click Settings. Or you can use a shortcut Windows + I.
- The right side, click on the “Tiles”.
- Set the number of rows tiles as you want.
- Move the “Show more tiles” slider to the right to increase rows.
- Or Move “Show more tiles” slider to the left to reduce rows.
Option 2: Change number of rows tiles from Registry
- Open Run dialog box (Windows + R), type regedit and press enter.
- Navigate to the following key in the left pane.
- From the Edit menu select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Rename the value with Layout_MaximumRowCount.
- Double click on Layout_MaximumRowCount to edit it. On the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog box, select the Decimal value and determine the number of rows tiles that you want.
- Close the Registry Editor, sign out and sign in back to apply the changes.
That is a tutorial on how to change the number of rows tiles in Windows 8. To restore it to default, delete the key Layout_MaximumRowCount you have added to the registry.