How to password protect a word document, there is a feature in Microsoft Word that allows you to add a password to protect your Word document. This is especially useful if the document is an important document. You can set the Word document can still be read, but to be able to edit, a user must enter the correct password.
You can apply these tips to your Word document. The working principle of this system is almost similar to password protection in Excel File. So you do not have to worry anymore if the document is edited by people who are not responsible. Actually it’s easy; you just follow the following steps to implement it.
How to password protect a word document
- Open your Microsoft Word document and click the Review menu, then on the Protect > Click the Restrict Formatting and Editing as shown in the picture below.
- Then will come a small window on the right side your document. On the Formatting Restrictions, tick the Limit formatting to a selection of styles. Later in the Editing Restrictions section, tick the Allow only this type of editing in the document. Then click the Yes, Start Enforcing Protection.
- After you click Yes, Start Enforcing Protection then a new window will appear asking you to set a password. After you enter the password, click the OK button to continue. Until this step, you have completed the document protection.
Please try to edit existing text in the document; if not editable means the file is already successfully protected. Every user is just getting permission to read, if you want to edit the document you must enter the password first, make sure that you use a password that is not easily predictable.
How to open password protected word document
After your document safe, of course you have to know how to open password protected Word document that has been applied. It is necessary, when you want to edit the document.
- Reopen your Microsoft Word document and click the Review menu, then on Protect > Click the Restrict Formatting and Editing. Then will come a small window on the right side your document. Click the Stop protection for open password protection.
- You will be asked to enter the password you have set, click OK, and you can edit and modify the document as usual. Remember, do the protections back if you want to save and close the document.
How to password protect a word document, it is very easy. In this way you can give more protection in your Microsoft Word document without worrying about losing your work. And most importantly do not lose your password.