How to compress files in windows 7 to save disk space – Hard disks in a computer have the ability to store data limit, so we need the action wise in the use of existing capacity for the computer to work optimally as its function.
At this time, the hard disk capacity is growing rapidly, you will never again find a new hard disk with a capacity of under 50GB, even for a 10 inch notebook at this time, at least be equipped with a hard disk size of 250GB. But with the workload, activities and applications are growing, the amount of hard disk space is not an advantage as a reliable or even may be overlooked.
So that the capacity of the hard disk is not full speed, you should save any important files on your computer, delete unnecessary files, especially large files. Usually, some people like to install applications that are not useful and rarely used that then settles and burdening hard disk.
If you store a lot of files in the hard disk, do compress files to save disk space by using the features provided by Windows 7. Here are the steps you should do.
Compress Contents to Save Disk Space
- Open Windows Explorer, right-click on a folder on the drive: D for the trial, and then click Properties. Note: I only recommend you implement these tips on the drive: D of your computer.
- In the Properties window look at the size of the data in the folder, it will as a comparison before and after this process. Click Advanced to continue.
- The next check box option ‘Compress contents to save disk space’ and click OK to continue.
- After that you will return to the Properties window, in order to continue the process of Compress and then click Apply.
- You will be asked to confirm the request compress command; there are two options that you can choose. You can select the radio button ‘Apply changes to this folder only’, if you want compress applied only to the folder without affecting sub folders in it. Then you can select the ‘Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files’, if you want the compress applied to the entire sub-folder and its contents in the selected folder.
- Click OK when you have selected one of these options, then compress will run. The length of time it takes depends on the size of the folder you have selected. If the compress has been completed, please refer to the Properties menu again, and compare the size before and after compress. Then you can do the same steps on the other folder while in drive: D.
Increasing the number of files in the hard disk will decrease the performance of the hard disk. For that you are required to know how to compress files in windows 7 to save disk space, so that the use of the hard disk can be more efficient.